It's that time of the year when everyone loves to load up the grill with some great burgers and veggies!
As with any cooking, safety and fire prevention should be front of mind. In BBQ season, this also involves the care of propane tanks, grill, and other flammable materials. Unfortunately grill fires do happen, and we'd like to remind our tenants to take precaution while cooking outdoors. Here are a few of our favourite tips:
- Check with your building manager regarding grilling on your balcony as it is prohibited by some by-laws (ie: Kitchener municipal fire code 736.4.3)
- Always use stairs to transport propane tanks
- Always ensure propane tank is turned off when BBQ is not in use
- Always check your equipment prior to use to ensure all connections are tight and tubing is undamaged
- Scrape your grill of all flammable food remnants before and after cooking, and keep the burner surfaces clean from any grease
- Remove any flammable materials from the area around the grill
- Keep children away from the grill
- Always take safety precautions while cooking: long handled tongs/flippers, oven mitts, aprons, and secure loose clothing and jewelry
- In the event that a fire does occur, notify the fire department and your building manager immediately
We always keep our tenants safety in the front of our minds. We hope that our tenants do the same with their safety and that of their neighbours. Enjoy your summer meals!